How to do a marketing audit for your business
UPDATED: Launch School was presented live at Launch Coworking, February 21, 2019.
One of the most common issues we see with small to medium-sized businesses is they don’t know where they stand or where to start, in terms of growing their business.
Conducting a marketing audit is usually the best place to start. When you conduct a marketing audit, you identify what aspects are really good and which areas need major improvement. Continuing to tweak your business without knowing where you stand is a lesson in futility.
We will walk you through how to audit your business as well as your competitors, and we will do this with free tools.
In this seminar, the fifth in the Master Modern Marketing series, we shared a simple outline and template to audit your business. We reviewed what free tools exist and which information is the most important.
Here are some specifics that we discussed:
Categories of a marketing and website audit :
1) The website itself
2) Social media accounts
3) Content, and
4) Website traffic
Here are some of our favourite tools to audit websites:
1) HubSpot’s Website Grader: A free audit tool that rates your site on performance, mobile, SEO, and security.
2) GT Metrix: GTmetrix gives you insight into how well your site loads and provides actionable recommendations on how to optimize it.
3) Google Website Speed Test: If you want to solely test your site’s speed, this is the tool for you.
4) Nibbler: Nibbler is a free tool for testing websites. Enter the address of any website and Nibbler will give you a report scoring the website out of 10 for key areas, including accessibility, SEO, social media and technology.
5) Screaming Frog: The Screaming Frog SEO Spider is a website crawler, that allows you to crawl websites’ URLs and fetch key elements to analyze and audit technical and onsite SEO. Download for free, or purchase a licence for additional advanced features.
6) SEMRush: Get insights into your competitors’ strategies in display advertising, organic and paid search, and link building.
Since you now know how to audit your business, you also know how to audit your competitors. See how effective their website is, see if they are running paid ads, see what pages are most productive for them, and more!
We use fancy ‘marketing theory’ or concepts that aren’t used in the real world. You now have actionable items to apply to your business immediately.
Ps. There was no cost for the seminar but there was tons of value.